What is SMO?
Social media optimization (SMO) is the method of increasing the awareness of a product, brand or event by using some social media outlets and communities to produce viral advertising. Many of the experts call it as Social Media Optimization while others relate it as Search Marketing Optimization.In both ways, it is the next revolution of online marketing, the perfect combination of Search engine optimization (SEO) and Social Media Optimization.
If SMO used in its best way then it will work as the best weapon for increasing your website organic search results. With the help of SMO, your business reach to the massive audience whom might you have missed earlier and automatically helps your business to extend to its great level. It is also so much helpful to support your website SEO process and drive some useful traffic to your website.
Social media optimization(SMO) includes things like social news, RSS feeds and social bookmarking Websites, as well as social media websites and video & blogging websites. SMO is similar to SEO (search engine optimization) because the goal of both is to drive traffic to your Website.
Coming back to SMO is the technique to promote your product, build a brand on various social channels. That includes video sites like Youtube, Social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Social bookmarking sites like Stumble Upon, Reddit and much more. After Google Panda and Penguin updates, to build the trust factor and authority of your Website, your social media influence will play a great role. I’m sure you must be thinking this. First of all social media optimization means proper optimization your post for social media website like Digg, Stumble upon, Reddit, sphinn and 100+ such sites.
Origins and implementation(Wikipedia)
According to technology expert Danny Sullivan, the term “social media optimization” was mainly discovered & explained by marketer Rohit Bhargava on his marketing blog in August 2006. In that post, Rohit Bhargava shared the Five important rules of social media optimization. Bhargava believed that by following his necessary rules, anyone could influence and increase the levels of traffic and engagement on their website, increase popularity, and ensure that it ranks highly in search engine results. Since then 11 SMO rules have been added to the list by other marketing contributors.
Initial five rules Of Rohit Bhargava were more specifically designed for SMO, while the list is now much larger and approaches everything that can be done to increase popularity across the different top social media platforms. According to CEO & Author of TopRank Online Marketing- Lee Odden, Social Media Tactics is also necessary to assure optimization. This is a similar theory to Bhargava’s list of five rules for SMO.
The Social Media Strategy may consider:
- Participation and Content
The Five New Rules Of Social Media Optimization
1. Create Shareable Content: Today content can be liked or tweeted, and it is worth more than links. Mainly it is about creating content that is easily be shareable. The valuable & unique your content is, the more people will want to share it with their entire social networks circle whether they link it, like it, dig it or share it. Naturally, you will increase the odds of your content shares if you make it easy for the consumer to do so.
2.Make sharing easy: Limiting the ways of sharing to just tagging or bookmarking doesn’t make sense anymore. Once you have created shareable content, after that you will have to put down an accessible and widely visible button so that people will do it with minimal effort or thinking and also like it. Utilize share widgets to encourage sharing by asking consumers to share your content.
3. Reward Engagement: Today one of the most important part of SMO is around conversation and engagement. While there are so many keys to “engagement” covering from discussion and comments to posting or sharing content.
4.Proactively share content: This includes everything from creating slides to post on Slideshare or documents to share on Scribd as well as tweeting about your content or offering embeddable versions of it, or using RSS feeds to syndicate it.
5. Encourage The Mashup: Remember it pays to be more open to letting other people use your content in a world of co-creation. To create mashups that can drive more traffic quickly for others by syndicating your content through RSS.
For more detail: The 5 NEW Rules Of Social Media Optimization
7 Steps To Improve Your SMO
Joshua Berg is one of the leading SMO experts. He has promoted a seven step model for effective SMO
- Reputation – Always build your reputation as a credible and qualified source
- Engagement – Encourage more discussion, engagement, sharing & exchange
- Authority – Become a well-known authority in your niche
- Leadership – Appreciate originality & creativity
- Social – Be socially strong, find and increase engagement with sociable experts in your niche
- Media – Know your social media platforms to influence maximum visitors
- Optimization – Improve technical aspects of increasing optimization
For more detail: 7 Steps To Improve Your SMO
Want to start with social media optimization?
Visitants from social media websites like Stumble Upon, Digg, Reddit are the people who have a hunger for news search, and they don’t stay for long. The only way of stopping them and lowering your bounce rate is by giving them much more things of what they want. Keeping them around your website using related articles and internal linking.
Seven important factor that will be the basis of social media optimization
- Content is king
- Website design
- Content navigation
- RSS feeds
- social news and bookmarking sites
- social media sites
- video and blogging sites
Online Reputation Management
People regularly to get quality and organic traffic from social media platforms. There is sill a lot of rules that we are starting to uncover as this is going to be more sophisticated. However, always remember the above five rules of Social Media Optimization. SMO is the best way in the 21st century to support SEO and increases massive traffic to your website from Social media platforms and search engine. Please comment below if you have any suggestion.